The Adventures of Morley

My photo
Krakow, Poland
I am currently living in the Pacific Northwest, spending my time working with students on Bainbridge Island in the Puget Sound in Washington state. I most recently returned from Krakow, Poland where I was working at an international school. I spent my youth (or much of it) in Europe: Belgium and then Hungary. I also lived in Bangladesh for a year, and Namibia for a summer. I love mountains and snow, but I am currently living in the land of heat, oceans, and jungles.

Monday, June 07, 2010

Fat Cake

A Fat Cake a Day Keeps the Skinny Away


Just a note, this is from a blog of a woman who used to live and teach in Namibia, not my own writing:

"The problem of my losing weight has been solved.FAT CAKES! Fat cakes are a Namibian staple - they are simply balls of fried dough, about the size of a small fist. A few ladies come to the school every day at break time and sell them for 50 cents (Namibian). (USD$0.0625) At first I was walking back to my house and grabbing a piece of bread with peanut butter for a snack. But then I realized not only was I being anti-social, but I was also not supporting my local vendor. So to the fat cake woman I went. They're kinda greasy, but all in all pretty good. I started out buying a couple things because this particular lady had small cakes. So I'd get a fat cake and a sweat bread sort of thing. Then a different lady started showing up, with nice big fatties. So one was plenty.

But a funny thing happened yesterday, the lady said, "I bought for you one,so take two." Wow, ok, thanks! So I had two. But man, that's just one too many. So I resolved to only have one from then on. Today though, she said it again! I politely said no thank you. Later it dawned on me, she WANTS to fatten me up! See, skinny is a sign of being sick (HIV/AIDS) here. So this lovely girl simply wants to give me a little plump. I think, however,that one fat cake a day will work just fine. I'm feeling plumper already."
A blog from a woman who used to live in Namibia. I tried fat cake on my first day in Namibia, last Monday, and have been craving it ever since!!

No comments: