The Adventures of Morley

My photo
Krakow, Poland
I am currently living in the Pacific Northwest, spending my time working with students on Bainbridge Island in the Puget Sound in Washington state. I most recently returned from Krakow, Poland where I was working at an international school. I spent my youth (or much of it) in Europe: Belgium and then Hungary. I also lived in Bangladesh for a year, and Namibia for a summer. I love mountains and snow, but I am currently living in the land of heat, oceans, and jungles.

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Day 2 Namibia

Just a short snippet of my day; went on a trip with a tour guide to the black township Katatura again. My group member and I, a university student from Ohio, went with our tour guide to SWAPO (the ruling political party in Namibia) headquarters to meet with a youth league representative. It was a really interesting talk about the role of the youth league's role in SWAPO, as well as in Namibia.
After our meeting we went to our tour guides' friends house and got to see how the lower-middle class lived. We also went to a market and I felt as though I didn't belong. Most of the people looked at us as though whites didn't belong there, and a few people made comments to our guide that she "isn't white, so why is she pretending to be".
We also went downtown to get some lunch, and back to the center.
Our group went out on the town tonight, only gave a taxi driver the wrong directions once, and found a great hostel and bar right across the street from our center, which seemed to have lots of interesting people at it. That's all for today.

No comments: