The Adventures of Morley

My photo
Krakow, Poland
I am currently living in the Pacific Northwest, spending my time working with students on Bainbridge Island in the Puget Sound in Washington state. I most recently returned from Krakow, Poland where I was working at an international school. I spent my youth (or much of it) in Europe: Belgium and then Hungary. I also lived in Bangladesh for a year, and Namibia for a summer. I love mountains and snow, but I am currently living in the land of heat, oceans, and jungles.

Sunday, August 04, 2013

I told you we were going to have this conversation

Today most of what I thought about...was food. Many people in my life have informed me that they only spend time with me due to my voracious appetite and my interest in anything edible- so I'm going to talk a bit about Venezuelan food, and the markets in which one can find them.
Today we visited the mercado centrale, while is apparently open on Saturdays and Sundays, and it had anything local that is grown that you could want.
I purchased
-guavas
-avocados (GIANT AND DELICIOUS)
-peppers
-lettuce
-green onions
-limes
-little bananas

The opportunity for fresh fruits and veggies is amazing in this market, all covered but fairly "open-air", heavy with Venezuelan radio and vendors yelling "mira" or the prices of their foods, and the smell of pineappele and guava heavy in the air. In other parts of the market is the fish (Venezuelan is big on fish and seafood..hopefully soon I can convince myself i am capable of cooking fish), the meat market (lots of blood, pig heads, feet, and lots of really bloody meat). At the market our director bought Matt and I cachapas, a sweet corn-bread dish with sweeter cheese on top... it was OK but the corn was very heavy for me and as it was freshly cooked, it was very warm on top of the 80 degree weather!



For dinner the director and his wife had us over for tequenos, a deep fried pastry with cheese inside, and a green sauce to put on top (cilantro, green onions and other ingredients..we labeled it green goo). This coupled with some brownies and two glasses of peruvian white wine, and it's been a great food day.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Morley,
I am very happy to hear that you are in caracas!!
Take it easy! We know you will be a wonderful teacher! Xi'an says why not at ASIJ? ^^;
Have a wonderful time!