On Friday I woke up to a text from a coworker, wishing me a happy birthday. Just half an hour later, one of my roommates who had been getting ready for her day burst back into the room and looked at me and said "happy birthday!!"
I went into work on Friday and my coworkers threw for me a birthday party with cake, cookies, and cool drinks, or as we would call in Minnesota, pop. More than half of the office came out and celebrated with me. It was a birthday/going-away party for me, as today, the 27th, is my last day at my internship. (More on that later) I was on a sugar high for the rest of the afternoon after all of that cake!
My housemates and I all went out to dinner at the Namibian Institute of Culinary Education, or NICE. The food was delicious, salmon with cream cheese and ravioli with tomato sauce and cheese,along with a little vegitarian quiche as an amuse-bouche. For desert my friend Hayley secretely ordered two little cakes for the intern and I (who share a birthday). Photos to come, i promise!
After dinner we all headed to a bar where one of the interns' friends was holding a going away party. We hung out for a bit, me not drinking (until 12:01) , talking with some people I knew and some I didn't.
To top off the evening we decided to go to one of the clubs in Windhoek called La Di Das. We all danced the night away until at least 3:00am, some later, with all sorts of music (not great music but we take what we can get right?) Many of us had some 12-15 Namibian boys trying to dance with us, to which we attempted to politely decline. One of the guys in our group had the opportunity to dance with the Namibian guys. Getting home at around 3:30am, I was exhausted!
On Saturday I went hiking on a hill that overlooks Windhoek, and on Sunday we all had a big "family dinner" at the house, everyone helping to make Mac & Cheese, Sushi, 7-Layer Dip, and Vegan Chocoalte cake/ cupcakes. Needless to say, most of us overate. We then raided our interns' closet, dressing up in some pretty fantastic outfits. A good party and a great end to a birthday weekend.

No comments:
Post a Comment