The Adventures of Morley

My photo
Krakow, Poland
I am currently living in the Pacific Northwest, spending my time working with students on Bainbridge Island in the Puget Sound in Washington state. I most recently returned from Krakow, Poland where I was working at an international school. I spent my youth (or much of it) in Europe: Belgium and then Hungary. I also lived in Bangladesh for a year, and Namibia for a summer. I love mountains and snow, but I am currently living in the land of heat, oceans, and jungles.

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Camp wonderpants

It's that time again, the summer where days fly by so fast you can hardly believe it's August and that you start real life again soon. The time where you get to live in the woods and wonder why people would ever want to change that. I'm at camp this summer again and it could be for the last time, for many reasons but I hope not. I can rest here, though I work harder than I think I do throughout the rest of the year. I can love my life and my friends and my family and my girl, and be happy, even if I am ignoring the tenseness and the discouragement that goes on around the world, I can make things change her. I can make young women smile and laugh and can give them hope.
That is a rare thing
I am leaving here soon, for the cities and for the U of M. Sometimes I get truly terrified, of not being in the woods, of being around people all the time. But that's not really what I am scared of facing, because there are places to be alone, no matter where you go. I am scared of feeling like I did before, like I don't belong. I want to feel the way I did in high school. That even though i'm not quite the same, though I'm not like the others and I don't fit in.. that I belong. I want that.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Super said...

Moo, you will change the world, no matter where you are. I know the discouragement and tenseness are so difficult to deal with, but you don't have to do it alone. You make people smile and laugh and hope, no matter where you are. I want camp to always be a special place for you, a safe place and a happy place. But I also want to show you that you can make a difference, no matter where you are. It does not need to be a rare thing. You, my love, are rare.
You can belong here. I'm not promising that it will be easy, but you are a rock person. It will be good for you. And if it's not? There will be a place for you.

David said...

Moo; never doubt that you belong, don't spend energy thinking that others are more part of the puzzle than you, we are all part of the puzzle, we all make it work, it takes each of us. It is why we love one another, we all are needed.
Dad