The Adventures of Morley

My photo
Krakow, Poland
I am currently living in the Pacific Northwest, spending my time working with students on Bainbridge Island in the Puget Sound in Washington state. I most recently returned from Krakow, Poland where I was working at an international school. I spent my youth (or much of it) in Europe: Belgium and then Hungary. I also lived in Bangladesh for a year, and Namibia for a summer. I love mountains and snow, but I am currently living in the land of heat, oceans, and jungles.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

A year in review: Part 1 Poland

I suppose it's time to jump back on the pogo-stick, or the horse, or whatever thing you might jump on to travel to new places. I have taken a bit of a break from blogging over the past year, likely because I was having way too much fun traveling around Europe and simply engaging with my environment wherever I was.

Before I get to excited about my next adventure here in the Pacific Northwest of the United States, I owe it to myself to share some brief stories about each other places I have been since I last wrote.

Polska
My year in Poland allowed me to learn many things about myself, and allowed me to recognize what I wanted to do with the next chapter of my life. Living in former-Communist post-WWII Krakow, I recognized that there is some beauty in the solemn nature of a quiet and somewhat broken community. Polish people are not seemingly happy people on the streets, and will likely stare you down if you are smiling to wide or laughing too much, but one-on-one, they are truly kind and welcoming. Krakow itself offered me many treasures, most in the form of beer.

While in Krakow I met travelers, teachers, and friends. I struggled with finding many locals that I connected greatly with, but the ones I did find I plan on keeping for life.
My most favorite spots to hang out were: Manzana- mexican style restaurant with charming all-female hosts and delicious cuisine (not to mention mojitos that'll rock your world), Viva la Pinta- a treasure in the old city with deliciously-brewed creative beer and simple bar food, along with a quaint basement and outside eating area where you can hear the trumpet sound at the end of each day, Multi Qlti-a pub on the second floor of one of the main party streets just off the main square, with bartenders who know their craft and gracious owners who are seemingly always working, and then there is Tap House the rather un-oriniginally named taphouse for Pracownia Piwa brewery. Fortunately for me, all of these places were within a twenty minute walk from my house. On top of all of that, I also found a beautiful craft beer dispensary called Swiat Piwa, or World of Beer, where I'd buy my local brews.


On top of drinking beer, I greatly enjoyed spending time with the local art around the plante, or walkway that surrounds the castle district which used to be the old city moat, geocaching with my great ladies Sharon and occasionally Natasja (seen below locating her first cache), hiking in the Tatra Mountain National Park, mountain biking, and eating local food (bread, lard, and pickles anyone?)






I could go on about Poland for a long time. I have expressed to many people that I didn't really enjoy Poland and that's not quite the truth. I struggled with my life in Poland for many reasons, but the country itself made no negative impact on my life, and the people I met truly will stay in my heart and on my mind. 

No comments: