Loveliest Radio
Currently listening to the radio program that a friend of mine does here in Duluth, DJ Wonderland on KUMD, sitting at the kitchen table of the house I grew up in. The winter sun is shining softly through the window and snowflakes are sparkling in the air. Nothing like a sunny Sunday snowfall. Can barely see the lake due to a light fog settling upon Duluth.
Home Away from Home
Minneapolis feels so far away right now, even thought it's only a three-hour drive (supposedly, I beg to argue this fact after my travels on Friday). After having spent the weekend away from school, Mpls friends, and the busyness that encompasses the Twin Cities, I gain a new respect for this "great white north". Duluth is a treasure in its own right, even if it is colder than one might appreciate, it has a beauty that I forget to appreciate at times. Driving into town on Friday night with the trees heavy with snow, houses full of Christmas trees and lights, everything felt just about right. Seth picked me up at UMD with his girlfriend and brought me home to my parents' house (where Seth currently lives). Despite getting into town 5 hours later than I had expected, I was just happy to get here.
Radio is now playing one of my absolutely favorite songs, River (Indigo Girls).
Skiing, Hockey, Foods and Friends
Saturday morning I went x-country skiing for the first time this season with Seth and Kara and a few of their friends. I seem to always forget the subtle pain that comes with the first ski, the aches on the particular appendages of your body that you either over-worked, or happened to fall on (I fell twice, once on an uphill, once on a slick downhill attempting to avoid a tree). Pictures of this adventure sure to come soon.
Evening time means food and friends. Dinner at Haciendo del Sol
Enchiladas De Carne Two corn tortillas rolled around our special blend of ground round and spices, smothered with our special enchilada sauce and topped with two tasty melted cheeses.
Mmmmm. That's all I have to say about that.
After dinner I went to a Bulldog hockey game vs. Denver @ the DECC, final hockey game at the DECC before they open the new arena right next door. Very cool to see the closing ceremony and see many of the former Bulldog players.

After hockey it was time to see friends, from near and far, some recent, some it's been a few years. We talked about life, school, the usual weather, the KGB, personality types, childish vs. childlike-ness, Katy Perry (apparently not as popular in Turkmenistan as here...), and of course, knitting. Cannot forget knitting.
Also, went to my first gay bar-not taking into consideration the bar my family accidentally went into in England on my brother's birthday, when we were just looking for a place to eat dinner- the Flame in Superior, very interesting, enjoyable place to dance when the DJ is doing his thing correctly. Ended the night by talking with a friend of mine til 4:30am, who has been abroad in Peace Corps. I love how friendships surpass national boarders, continents, and timezones.
Still jiving to Radio Wonderland, something that has finally given me the inspiration to write...first time in awhile as you can see. Hopefully my winter break will bring my writing itch back.

No comments:
Post a Comment